Monday, February 27, 2012

Whole wheat, is it that much better?



I hear from a lot of people how much better whole wheat bread is than standard white bread.  I have to say I do not agree.  Although I do like some of the flavors from whole wheat, it is not worth the trouble to try to bake an all whole wheat loaf.  Most of the time if I am doing  a whole wheat bread I include 1 cup of whole wheat to 3 cups of all-purpose flour.  That is enough to get the flavor without destroying the texture of the bread.  Let me explain, the wheat kernel has three parts; the endosperm, the germ and the bran.  Normal flour is made from the endosperm where most of the nutrition is.  Also its ground up, smooth and easy to use.  The bran and germ do have some nutritional value but when you grind them up they are jagged and sharp. Not sharp enough to cut you but still sharp.  So when you go to make bread out of whole wheat flour the jagged parts poke hole in the dough letting out most of the air, this leaves you with a dense heavy bread.  This is why people shudder when you tell them you are baking healthy food.  There is never a time healthy bread should not taste good.  So if you just stick to standard flour it will be easier use.  When you want a different flavor just add a half  to one cup whole wheat or rye flour to the mix.  Remember there is nothing unhealthy about using the ingredients God gave us in the way they were intended.  God gave us wheat and I bet even in the time of Jesus they preferred it separated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment