Tuesday, May 8, 2012

salad night


Well, I got a chance to have someone weigh me and measure how wide I am for the benefit of keeping one of my jobs.  And of course after that what I think of most is eating more salad.  Somehow the tape measure they use is quite a bit different than any I have ever owned.  According to them I need a diet and maybe some new clothes.  So let’s start with the diet, too cheap for the clothes.  I wrote previously on putting together a nice salad, but will throw in a few more tips.  First, always cut your vegetables so you are able to eat it in one bite and with a plastic fork. This just makes it easier to eat in any circumstance.  I cut my veggies pretty small so I don’t look like a squirrel trying to eat a tomato or try to cut it in half with a butter knife in a salad bowl.  Also if you have something that is hard by nature then consider grating it, like carrots.  Everyone likes the color and flavor but no one can stab them without making a mess. So help out us challenged folks and grate the carrots on a cheese grater.  Now, that is all good but to take your salad to the next level throw some fresh spices on top.  Fresh mint, dill, cilantro, and lavender (not all on the same salad) can really add the extra punch you are looking for.  Also stop buying salad dressing; it’s easy to make, it only has like three ingredients.  I was in line last week at Wally World and the lady ahead of my was buying dressing and the clerk remarked how good it was, and how you just can’t do that at home.  And in my cart right behind her I had everything I needed to make the very same dressing for a fraction of the cost. 
So here is tonight’s dinner.
2 big handfuls of romaine lettuce cut in strips.
2 tomatoes sliced thin and cut in half
One carrot grated. 
One handful of baby spinach leaves
One handful of broccoli florets
One small palm full of dill
Toss together and salt and pepper lightly, adding cheese is always a good bet,
And for the dressing tonight we will be having Ranch,
1 cup mayonnaise
Milk to thin if desired
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup parsley
1/8 cup fresh chives
And to this I will also add a small palm full of lavender.
Post your favorite salad ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment